Sunday, 13 March 2011

A typical weekend

To be honest a typical weekend consists of not very much which is a way can be rather nice but in another can be a bit frustrating.  I was reading an article in today's Sunday Times by India Knight where she says there is nothing wrong in mooching about at weekends and that it should be praised rather than damned.  She might well have the luxury of being to shop in the week and she may have a cleaner and someone to do her ironing so she has more time to mooch but the principle is a good one.  We spend so much time clock watching, rushing hither and thither and trying to be all things to all people.  It's good just to stop and not feel guilty about it.

It's taken me a while to get used to this idea though.  My weekends used to be a continual rush of shopping, cleaning, ironing, washing,  planning for the next week at work, feeling as if everything had to be done and be perfect to show how good I was at juggling everything.  Now I'm more laid back.  If things don't get ironed then it can be done at another time.  Same with cleaning - it only ends up a mess again in no time.  Planning for the next week has to be done but that does with the job to a certain extent and I don't plan as madly as I used to when I was a really new teacher.  With things I've done before it's more a question of tweaking rather than having to start from scratch which is a blessing.

So now I give myself the luxury of a lie in on Saturday morning before tackling Sainsbury's.  I might take time out to go for lunch with the other half and not panic about the ironing.  This weekend I've taken time to watch the rugby and will shortly watch the England/Scotland match.

My main bugbear is Saturday night.  I would like to go out now and again but where I live does not have a lot to offer unless you like getting off your face and having a punch up.  Anything else is a bit of a journey and I resent paying exorbitant taxi fares in this current climate.  Also, the other half tends to be a bit of a sleepyhead in the evenings -he's an early riser so by the evening he tends to nod off.  On Friday it was 9.15pm and last night just after 10pm when the snoring started on the sofa next to me.  I was going to surprise him and join him at his local pub for a quick drink before I did the dinner, but he got home just as I was going to leave so that didn't pan out.  Then later he didn't really want to go back out again so we just sat indoors watching TV or rather catching up on stuff on the planner as Saturday night TV is pretty poor at the moment.

Today we had breakfast in bed as usual with the papers.  He'd been up early and gone for a bike ride beforehand.  I tend to wake up alone in the mornings which I don't really like but have got used over the years.  Well not quite alone as the cat is usually there and as soon as she sees I'm awake she's clambering all over me, drooling until she settles down on top of me.  When the breakfast tray arrives she sits at the bottom of the bed with her back to us as if we've insulted her but as soon as the tray goes she's back, sitting on my stomach while I sit and read the paper.

Then it's time to take the youngest to work and start the day ie do school work for a few hours depending on how much needs doing.  Later I will do the tea, have a bath and watch the last series of Waking the Dead which starts tonight then it's bed and an early start in the morning!!  I did not put the words ordinary life in the title of this blog for nothing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment