Wednesday, 16 March 2011

More musings

We really have to stop wasting our weekends.  All that happens is that we sit indoors, watching rubbish on the TV and drinking too much wine.  This weekend just gone I seemed to spend most of it on my own.  Sprog was at work and the other half went off to practice his golf and then went to the pub.  I was going to surprise him and join him there but he came home just as I was about to leave - typical bad timing.  By then he didn't want to go back out as he prefers to go for a drink after a meal out and now felt tired to I had to grin and bear it.  So life as normal then. 

However, next weekend I have booked tickets for the local theatre to see 'Private Lives' with a meal beforehand - can't believe it!!  A night out!!  May I'll even dress up.  I had been on the point of ditching all my going out clothes because they just sit in the wardrobe but maybe I should hang on to them after all.

Tonight I have my Italian class so, as usual, it's a last minute rush to get my homework done.  I was always bad even at school at leaving things to the last minute.  I know full well that I should get my act together and do it at the weekend and spend more time in general on it but I always end up leaving it.  You would think I'd learnt my lesson by now but I suppose old habits die hard.  I want to put in some time though as we are going to Venice at the start of the Easter holiday and I want to be able to get by without resorting to the usual English trick of speaking slowly and loudly whilst waving my hands about.  Why are the English so lazy at learning a language?  Mind you the Americans are even worse. 

We've been busy reading up so that we have some idea of the history of the place and maybe avoid some of the tourist traps.  It's all the fault of Canaletto - if we had not been to his exhibition at the National Gallery last year, Peter would never have got it into his head that he had to visit Venice.  Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to it and I'm sure it will be beautiful but to me it's not the real deal.  It's become such a tourist attraction that I'm worried it has become lost in merchandising and tourist tat but as long as we keep off the beaten track a bit I'm sure it will be great.  Besides we need the break!!

No comments:

Post a Comment