Thursday, 10 March 2011

Musing for the day

This blog is just a way for me to reflect on events as they take place and offer my opinions on things.  They will probably be of little interest to others but this as this is primarily for me does that matter?

So what about me?  I am 50 years old and cannot believe it.  Where did the time go?  I know that sounds like a terrible cliche but it's true!!  I don't feel it, like to think I don't look it and hope that I generally have a younger perspective on things.  That's not to say the odd creak hasn't set in and I can see the grey hairs sprouting on my head but I think that 50 can no longer be considered old.

I have been divorced for some time now although I now have a live-in partner.  I have two grown up children, one about to finish university and one about to begin later this year.  I have a nice house and am lucky in a lot of ways.  I work as a teacher in a secondary school which certainly means there's never a dull moment - just a lot of frustrating ones!!  The problem is that to some extent, despite having all this, I feel there's something missing but I cannot put my finger on it.  There's a bit of me that feels that I've time slip by and not made the most of it.  I'm not a natural risk taker but maybe now is the time.

My youngest daughter is off in April to Argentina and then Peru as part of  her gap year experience.  She's going to learn Spanish and the tango before working in some sort of children's home/school in Peru with some trekking to Matchu Pitchu as well.  Maybe that is what has added to my feeling of needing to break out and do something different.  She won't be back until the end of July and then I believe that in August she is going to the States to spend some time with her father who now lives out there with wife number 2.

My eldest daughter is planning a back packing trip round Italy with her boyfriend although she has also been looking at going to China and the Far East.  At the risk of sounding sorry for myself I don't have any plans for a summer holiday as yet due to finances and will miss it terribly.  We didn't get away last year either and it does affect you, not having that break from the mundane tasks involved in running a home.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a TEFL qualification so that I could live and work abroad.  I've also been learning Italian for a couple of years although it's difficult to find the time to do it properly.  Well, actually it's probably not that difficult it's just that I'm inherently lazy and always leave things to the last minute.  Always have done - I remember at school rushing homework or even not doing it and the same at university which accounts for the fact I only managed a third class degree!!  If  I could have my time again I would work so much harder.  I really admire my eldest daughter as she works so hard and so wants (and deserves) a first.  She's only a few points short but is worried that she'll miss out.  The youngest is too like me - she's naturally very clever but doesn't put the effort do did not do as well as she could have done at A level.  Mind you she's got a place at Durham to do Earth Sciences (I think!) so hopefully the fact that it's going to cost her so much will act as a spur to doing well.

Anyway the chores are calling ie it's time to get on with the dinner - I said it was an ordinary life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment